supported by Aigua Ter-Llobregat. The technology validated by the Low-E project was developed for seawater desalination, but it could also be used for industrial brine, or for inland desalination plants to avoid brine waste at reservoirs and landfills not designed to accept this type of waste.
This project is being developed alongside the tech hub Tecnalia
, the company Tinnit GmbH
and the University of Cologne. It is funded by the Government of Catalonia’s Agency for Business Competitiveness, ACCIÓ,
under the international call entitled “Núcleos de investigación industrial y desarrollo experimental de componente internacional Cataluña-Alemania” (Industrial research cores and experimental international development between Catalonia and Germany), with a budget of €360,978.40 and a grant of €144,800.23.
The challenge of water scarcity
Despite covering most of the planet, only 1% of water is available for human consumption, with 97% found in the ocean and the other 3% coming from rivers and fresh water, a great deal of which is locked up in ice and glaciers. Needed by agriculture, industry and homes, water is a scarce commodity. According to studies by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), every year over 10 million people die of diseases caused by lack of clean water, and estimates suggest that by 2025 there will be 1.8 billion people without access to drinking water.